Nira was able to track William Porter to Knox County, Ohio. She mentioned to me that William has a son named Orrin Porter which instantly rang a Chautauqua County Porter bell! There is an Orrin (sometimes spelled Orin) Porter who is a contemporary of William Porter. In fact they are the right age to be brothers. So this post is dedicated to Nira and presents what I could find out about Orrin Porter.
This petition mentions the estate of Mark Steere who died in 1847. Orrin Porter is appointed an administrator of Mark Steere's estate. Mark Steere has no widow and 7 daughters (all of age in 1848) are listed:
- Lydia Steere (co administrator)
- Harriet Cook, wife of Peyton R. Cook
- Sarah Ann Porter, wife of Orrin Porter
- Julia Steere
- Betsey Steere of Norwich, Chenango County,
- Mary Farnham, wife of John P. Farnham
- Eunice St. Amand, wife of Augustus St. Amand
I know the image above is a little hard to read, but it is for Orrin Porter in 1850. It reads:
- Orrin Porter 52 (b. 1798) b. CT? or VT?
- Sarah A. (Steere) 45 (b. 1805) b. CT? or VT?
- Julia Steere 28 (b. 1822) b. NY
I wonder if the female b. 1810 to 1820 is another Steere? I don't think it could be a daughter of Orrin and Sarah as Sarah would be too young.