Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Russians are Coming ... Herkimer Countians that is!

I came across the record below which is why I know the Ruth Fox in Camillus is the same Ruth Fox in Herkimer County.  This is from Will Book B of Herkimer County.
This is a will abstract for William Barnum of Russia, Herkimer County.  It is dated 29 June 1812.  He gives part of the land he lives on to his daughter Ruth and on her said death to her son Daniel Fox.  He also mentions two sons, Richard and John Barnum.  He names his daughters, Sarah Mead, Hannah Jones, Phebe Primer, and Mary Duber with bequests of $25.00 each.  

My last post mentioned two letters which Ruth Fox used to prove her marriage to Lemuel Fox.  One was signed by Sarah Brumagin and Phebe Primmer.  I wonder if Sarah Brumagin is Sarah Mead?  It would make sense.  These would be sisters of Ruth Barnum.  

William Barnum also mentions his grandchildren, Daniel Fox, Rabacha Fox, Mary Fox, and Hannah Fox.  This last mention makes me wonder if Lemuel and Ruth Fox's son Joel is still alive?  If he is, William failed to mention him in his will.

I copied the 1810 census listing for Ruth Barnum Fox below.  You can see how it matches the family of Ruth Fox.  I figure the male child must be Daniel and the adult male must be William Barnum.  If this is the case, the household matches the list for William's bequests.  
  In my last post, I was able to pace the birth of Ruth Fox around 1770 based on one of her depositions.  I have estimated William Barnum's birth based upon Ruth's birth.  Notice William Barnum's son John Barnum is living next door to Ruth Fox, as well.  So, if the male child is Daniel Fox, and I think this pretty likely, three boys are missing from the household, Amos Fox b. 16Jul1791, Joel Fox b. 25Dec1795, and Richard Fox b.17Dec1802.  Are these three children deceased?

Let's start by looking at the 1800 and 1790 census records to see what the household 'looks like'.  Lemuel Fox and family are located in Camillus, Onondaga County in 1800.  The census page is in really bad shape, so I highlighted Lemuel's household.  All of Ruth's children up to 1800 are listed in the household.

  I cannot seem to locate Lemuel Fox in 1790.  There is a Lemuel Fox listed in Connecticut, but he doesn't match with what we know about our Lemuel Fox.  I'll keep looking, though.  Now let's see what Ruth Barnum Fox's second marriage to John Clark looks like...

No comments:

Post a Comment